The main suspect in the recent headline-making theft of more than $6.1 million in gambling chips from the famed Wynn Macau land-based casino has been caught by local authorities, according to the most recent information regarding casinos in Macau. A few days earlier, the Judiciary Police of Macau (PJ) announced that they had taken into custody a man who they believe stole the chips in question. A croupier with the surname Lei who is 49 years old and works at the VIP gaming club at Wynn Macau is the primary suspect in this investigation. The uncle of Lei, who is 70 years old and has been identified as Ho, works as a security guard at the Wynn Macau. The police believe that Lei’s uncle may have been an accomplice in the crime that Lei committed. The two suspects were apprehended on Thursday evening in a park in Taipa, and the following day, both of them were taken to the closest Prosecution Office in the area for further processing. Only HKD20,000 worth of the casino chips worth HKD47.9 million have been found so far, according to the police, and the individuals suspected of stealing the chips have not yet voluntarily disclosed where the rest of the chips can be found.
Lei Escapes With $6.1 Million Worth Of Chips
Officials from the PJ police department told sources of the local media that Lei left the Wynn Macau casino at seven o’clock on Tuesday morning after he had finished his shift in the VIP gaming club. Before putting the chips into a bag, Lei allegedly cautioned the only other casino employee who was working at the time to “keep quiet.” It was at this point that Lei is said to have walked out of the casino in a nonchalant manner before fleeing on his motorcycle. According to the police, Lei, who began his employment at Wynn Macau in 2009 as a security guard and advanced to become a croupier in 2011, has now accepted his guilt in the matter. Lei disclosed to the administrators of PJ that he had “gambling issues” and that he has applied for multiple loans in order to compensate for the money he has lost due to gaming. Uncle Ho, who is also known as Lei, has denied having any part in the crime.
The Wynn Macau Will Begin Their Investigation Soon.
It has been claimed that Macau’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has also requested that Wynn Macau investigate the crime. Officials from the DICJ have even visited with five of Macau’s other major casino license holders in order to assist in making certain that the other casinos’ staff surveillance procedures are adequate to safeguard them from events that are comparable to the one that occurred at the Sands Macau. A little more than a week ago, the news of the theft was initially shared on social media platforms. Since then, three casino employees have been charged with ‘breaching judicial confidentially’ for spreading a police document that exposed Lei’s identity. This was done by circulating the document.
A number of casinos in Las Vegas have also been the target of a string of cash thefts over the past several weeks, just like casinos in other parts of the world. On January 10, a masked robber demanded cash from the casino cage at New York-New York, and just a few days later, Ellis Island experienced a situation almost similar to this one. Just the week before, SLS was the most recent business to fall victim to a robbery, in which a man in a mask jumped the counter, grabbed some cash, and ran away from the scene.